The excitement surrounding the global launch of Modern Warfare 3 has reached a new peak, but the presence of packet burst can put a damper on the thrill. There are several steps you can take to address and potentially eliminate your packet loss issues in MW3.
The arrival of Modern Warfare 3 has brought immense joy to Call of Duty enthusiasts. This latest addition not only includes all the classic maps from MW2 and cherished features like the slide cancel but also introduces a Zombies mode for the first time in the Modern Warfare series. Nevertheless, the joy of MW3 can be hindered if you encounter packet loss problems. These issues, often referred to as ‘Packet burst,’ can result in gameplay and visual disturbances such as stutter and lag.
If you find yourself facing this problem, you’ll notice three squares accompanied by the text “Packet burst” on your screen. To assist you in resolving this issue, here are some methods to fix packet burst problems in Modern Warfare 3.
Packet burst is a type of server error that can cause visual and gameplay problems like lag and stutters. While players may notice the symptoms, a key indicator often appears on the screen.
If you observe three squares stacked on the left side of the screen, it indicates that you are experiencing packet burst. The squares may also be accompanied by the actual text saying ‘packet burst’ to confirm the issue.
Now, let’s explore some ways players can attempt to mitigate the packet burst they experience while playing MW3.
Addressing Packet Burst in MW3
One of the simplest ways to alleviate lag is to restart the platform to which you are connected. By restarting your computer, Xbox, or PlayStation, you give MW3 the opportunity to reset. If the issue persists, there are other straightforward fixes that may prove helpful.
Six Solutions to Packet Burst Issues
- Reboot MW3: Close the game and restart it to reset the servers, ensuring a fresh connection and resolving the packet burst error.
- Restart the Wi-Fi: Exit to the main menu of MW3 to ensure you are outside of any servers. Locate the reset button on your Wi-Fi router via the tiny hole, typically found at the back of the device. A small tool like a hair clip or safety pin works best here. Insert the clip or pin into the hole and press the button down for approximately 30 seconds. Your router will turn off at this point. Release and wait for the power to return, indicated by a green light.
- Disable Crossplay: On PlayStation 4/5, navigate to MW Settings, select ‘Account & Network,’ and disable crossplay in the ‘Online’ tab. On Xbox One and Series X/S, go to ‘Settings’ – ‘Account’ – ‘Privacy & online safety’ – ‘Xbox privacy’ – ‘View details and customize’ – ‘Communication & multiplayer’ – turn off ‘You can join cross-network play.’ Note that PC does not support disabling crossplay.
- Deactivate On-Demand Texture Streaming: On consoles, access your Settings, scroll to Graphics, and disable ‘On Demand Texture Streaming.’
- Switch to Ethernet: While your Wi-Fi router is on, connect an Ethernet cable between the router and your gaming platform for a more stable connection.
- Seek Support: Remember, if any issues persist, you should always contact Activision Support through its website for further assistance.
By implementing these steps, you increase the chances of resolving packet burst problems in MW3 and enjoying a smoother gaming experience. As the anticipation for Modern Warfare 3 reaches its zenith, addressing these issues ensures that you can fully immerse yourself in the excitement without the hindrance of packet loss.